What would the holidays be without cookies? I like this shortbread recipe because of its rich and buttery taste. Also, due to the slice-and-bake method used here, the cookies are easy to handle. One final bonus is that since the cranberries and pistachios are added on top of the cookies just before baking, you have the option of including them or leaving them out, if you are a shortbread purist. :)
Here’s what you’ll need:
-1 cup butter, softened
-3 Tbsp cornstarch
-1/2 cup icing sugar
-1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
-1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Place cranberries and pistachios in two separate bowls and set aside.
2. Using a stand mixer, beat butter until fluffy. (A couple of minutes.)
3. Lower the speed of the mixer, and add the cornstarch, one tablespoon at a time. Add the icing sugar 1/4 cup at a time. Add the flour 1/4 cup at a time. Mix until the dough comes together.
4. Line the counter with plastic wrap or parchment. Place the ball of dough onto the plastic wrap and mold into a slender log. You can divide the dough in two and make two logs, if you prefer. Place in the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
5. Slice 1/4 inch thick discs and place onto baking sheet. Press into the cookies, a couple of cranberries and pistachios each.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the edges and bottoms of the cookies are golden.
7. Let cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. If you like, you can dust the cookies with icing sugar just before serving or enjoy as is! Makes about 30 cookies.